Deep Sea Fishing Report By Gone Fishing Punta Cana, Dominican Republic | Come with us and catch your Marlin, Mahi Mahi, Tuna, Wahoo, Barracuda…
Fishing report for 2015 is here! I am still struggling to find time and write reports on regular, frequent basis; I hope that pictures and Tripadvisor reviews can say more than my own words. If you like what you see, booking your fishing adventure with us is just one click away. Enjoy!
– Fishing Report: January 4th. till the 11th. Blue Marlins, Wahoos, Mahis, lots of fun for everyone. Of course sorry for those who got seasick or others that were skunked, but those are the laws of fishing, you never know until you get out there and try it.
– January 12th. till January 18th. Weather conditions were much better but we also had 2 days where the fish were on strike!!! Thanks for everyone for coming onboard and enjoying yourselves with my staff.
– January 19th. till the 25th. We had some great days of fishing, even one full day charter broke our old record with 92 Mahis caught in one day. Good job Dick and his buddies. Ben M. who planned the trip had to miss out at the last minute. Maybe next year Ben. Cheers to all who came along for the fun.
– January 26 till feb.1st. Few bad days weather wise, but overall some pretty good fishing for the last week of January. Lots of guest even got to do some whale watching while fishing.
Great day of fishing!
This chartered fishing expedition was everything we hoped for. The weather was great, the waves were small, we caught 19 Mahi-Mahi, our guide Roberto was outstanding!! My husband is an avid freshwater fisherman and got to actively participate which was what he was hoping for. Great charter, lots of fun. Would highly recommend.
Fun times out on the water
We booked a 4 hour fishing trip, out of Jelly Fish beach. The boat had seven on board, myself, partener and a family of five. What was expected was explained very well and the crew was welcoming. Being an experienced fisherman from the west coast USA I had no problem with the rollers but two did some chumming for the fish. Our time out we managed to catch two Mahi Mahi, one Barracuda, and two Marlin. I was lucky enough to catch one of the Marlins, one check off the bucket list (Fun Times).
– From 1st. till the 8th. Still some rough seas out there, but lots of great fishing.
– February 9th. till Feb. 16th. Lost a few days for some more rough seas ,but overall when we went out the results were excellent. Thanks for everyone for fishing with Gone Fishing.
– Feb. 17th. till 22nd. Congrats to everyone who lasted the rough surf throughout the week. By the size of the fish that were caught looks like it was worth every minute.
– Feb. 22nd. to 28th. Once again rough seas but nice catches all week long. So sorry for all the ones that got sick on some of these trips, and at the same time hats off to those off tough it out.
Memories for a Lifetime!
Getting your dad, brother, and great friends together can be done at home in the states, but to be able to get everyone to Punta Cana and onto a Fishing Charter can probably encounter enough obstacles as it is. Well we did our part and got to the boat and from there we had the time of our life! Granted there were only 1-2 ft swells the day we were out (which it can be worse than that on lake Minnetonka) we nonetheless ALL took Dramamine and settle in for the trip.
We caught a 45lb Blue Marlin, and a Small-Medium sized Dolphin fish. The Marlin when we got back to shore was delicious, and probably better than any meal we had at the Hard Rock resort we were staying at. I’m telling you what, Jacques runs a good operation here and they’ll take care of you. If you’re looking to go fishing, give him a shout!
Awesome fishing trip
We chartered a boat from Gone Fishing and had a blast. Caught 7 Mahi Mahi and 1 Barracuda in 4 hrs. The first mate Roberto was awesome. Hope your new reals get through customs soon you deserve them. Seas were 8ft plus but boat handled no problem. We had 3 in our crew and fished with 4 other guys and all had a great time together. Thanks again guys and hats off to captain. Thanks to Jack also.
The experience of the captain (Franklin) and first mate (Jordan) was obvious as soon as we stepped on the boat, as was their knowledge of the area. Triple headers and double headers were common. Jordan was a very busy boy once the fish started hitting. Catch of the day – 12 Mahi-Mahi. We spent the afternoon with 5 other avid and very friendly fishermen. This was a hands-on fishing experience, where Jordan had us bait and set the lines. Everyone on board got to reel in 1-2 fish each. We realized this was a top-notch fishing charter when we got back to shore and met the owner Jack. Thank you Jack, Franklin & Jordan for a great afternoon of fishing and hospitality! This is a “don’t miss” excursion if you’re visiting Punta Cana.
Tim and Terry B
Best use of a morning
I went on 6 different mornings and we caught fish on 5 of those days – 49 in total. We got skunked only on the last day but the seas were a lot rougher that day. These guys pick up singles or groups at all of the local resorts and usually run 3 boats at least in both the mornings and afternoon tours.
Had a great time. Some in the group got a bit sick but seemed to recover when the fish started hitting and the adrenaline kicked in.
My Wife and i booked a private half day charter, the Captain and 1st mate worked there butts off to get us on fish, that they did, we caught 8 very nice Mahi Mahi and 2 Marlins. Boat was clean and well maintained. All the gear was top of the line and in great condition. I will for sure book again on our next visit, highly recommend!
– Fishing Report for March:
– March 1st. till the 9th. Once again some rough surf and strong winds nearly all week, but fish were there. Thanks to everyone for braving the conditions.
– March 10th. till 15th. Well to all the land lovers, the rough seas are finally over, so you can all come and enjoy smooth conditions and great fishing. Thanks for everyone for joining us again this past week even do mother nature was still nasty up until this past saturday. A special thanks for everyone who took the time and write us a review in Trip Advisor, a special thanks to Jim B. and Rob R. Nice fishing guys.
– March 16th. till the 22nd. Much better fishing conditions during this past week, but also a bit slower in our success rate. However some folks still had some pretty good outings with us.
– March 23rd. till March 31st. Beautiful conditions however fishing a bit slower than usual for the past week. Thanks so much to everyone for coming out with us.
Rob Ryan on Facebook: Had a blast and still sore from the 20 Mahi and Yellow Fin. Yes a 80lb Yellowfin Tuna. Awesome day with awesome crew.
Had a great time fishing.
We had a great time fishing with this charter. They has all kinds of drinks for us. We were 7 in the boat, I’m not sure if I would go much more than that. The seas were good only about 6 to 8 foot swells at the most. The equipment looked like it was decent and in very good condition.
The crew: Jordan was the first mate, he was just fun to be around. Always made sure you were having fun and had a drink or whatever you needed. Giovanny was the captain, he’s a man of few words but was nice got us on the fish quickly.
Fishing: As an avid fisherman (fresh water) I was a bit nervous at how the day would go. But jordan and Giovanny constantly made sure the hooks had fresh baits on them. If a colour wasn’t performing well, he would switch it out after a while. We were using about 5 to 6 lines with different coloured baits on them. Jordan also showed us how to bait the hooks, I enjoyed that a lot. He got use to help him a bit, since almost all of us were avid fishermen he didn’t have much of a choice. haha
We caught a White Marlin and a small Barracuda. We also missed another White Marlin a bit later in the trip.
I would definitely recommend this for anyone looking to go fishing. If you’re an avid fisherman or show up with an open mind you will have fun whether you catch anything or not.
Great fishing trip
Our boat landed 4 Mahi’s, despite rough seas. For a period of about 60 minutes we had non-stop action. The Captain and First Mate were great guys and they knew what they were doing. We only had 4 lines in the water, due to the rough seas, and we had 2 fish hooked at the same time, but the First Mate ensured we didn’t snarl our lines and he was great with the gaff. Mahi Mahi put up a terrific fight and look truly beautiful when they jump out of the water, which they do several to many times. Someone on our boat also hooked a Wahoo but lost it shortly after hooking it.
It was one of the best fishing experiences of my life, and I’ve done a lot of fishing (in Canada). I highly recommend Gone Fishing Punta Cana.
Bucket List Trip – Check
Great trip – thanks to owner and staff at Gone Fishing! Took advantage of the beach restaurant as recommended and it was fabulous – they cooked up our Mahi Mahi perfectly – never had fish so good!
– April 1st. till the 7th. Calm seas most of the week which brought in a bit of slow fishing but also a few good days. Really nice to see all the kids going out and trying their luck with their folks.
– April 8th. till April 14th. Ocean is been nice with waves between 4′ to 6′ most of the time. However fishing this past week has been a bit slower. We’re still expecting white Marlins to come in, but so far they’ve been hiding on us
– April 15th. till 21st. beautiful conditions are finally here to stay, however another slow week for us compared to previous months in catching fish. White Marlins are slowly making their way to this side of the island and should be coming in strong as May kicks in
– April 22nd. till May 4th. Sorry for the long delay to all our loyal followers. White and Blue Marlins were caught, some nice Yellow Fins and like always Mahi Mahi’s were on the menu.
Why its called fishing and not catching….
We went out for a half day, just my wife and I. Franklin and Genaro are great at what they do. We didn’t have the luck that we had hoped for, but it was an awesome time anyway. The worst day fishing is still better than the best day at work. It was fun to just be out on the water trying to catch something. We hooked a couple fish, but they threw the hooks before we could get them to the boat. One was a big Blue Marlin that made Genaro go “WOW” and run to the back of the boat to the rods. He estimated it to be a 250lbs Blue Marlin. My wife saw the head as it came out of the water, but that was it. Later on we hooked a small Barracuda and a White Marlin. Thank you Jack, Franklin and Genaro “Geronimo” for a great day on the water FISHING……
Great day fishing!!
My husband and I are on our honeymoon and we booked a half day deep sea fishing charter. The staff and crew are friendly and professional. Unfortunately my husband was seasick but the crew made sure to check on him, pour water on his head to help him feel better and offered plenty of water 🙂
I was lucky and caught something! This is a great company to use and I would definitely book with Gone Fishing again. Highly recommended!
Thank you Gone Fishing!!
May Fishing Report and fishing calendar:
– May 5th. till May 10th. Great week for fishing, Stripe Marlins, White Marlins and Blue Marlins were caught, besides a beautiful wahoo, mahis and some yellow fins. Congrats to everyone and especially to Evan S. and his boys from New York for a 169lbs. Blue Marlin. good job guys.
– May 11th. till May 18th. Still some rough waters out there this past week, but more and more Marlins are finally coming in.
– May 18th. till May 27th. Really great weather conditions and again an active week for Marlin fishing, and of course our usual Mahi Mahis.
– May 25th. till May 31st. Great week for Marlin fishing. Sailfish, White and Blue Marlins all were in the area. Besides Mahi Mahi’s, Yellow Fin Tuna and even some Wahoo’s. Thanks for everyone for joining us.
Great day fishing!
My fiancé and I had a great experience! There was 4 other people on board with us, we all got to help bait, we caught 3 fish all together, 2 Mahi Mahi and a Barracuda! We all got a turn reeling them in. The staff was awesome and super friendly, offered us cold drinks and did a wonderful job of explaining everything! Definitely would do it again.
Great first experience
From the time in inquired about a fishing trip, Jack and the team have been great to work with. Our trip was fantastic! Our guide and captain were so nice and helpful. It was a great trip. We will go back again!
Worth every penny
Not only was this trip one of the best we had ever had but also Gone Fishing was great. We were able to all catch at least one fish during the 4 hour trip (there were 6 of us on board) and they provided plenty water and beers for the excursion. The Marlin we caught was incredible, definitely a memory that will last a lifetime!
The only thing to remember is that this is fishing, a catch is not always guaranteed! Also if you get seasick like me, take a Dramamine before. I though the water would be calm since we were in the Caribbean but since you do go pretty far out at sea it can get choppy!
– June 1st. till June 7th. Another great week for smooth weather conditions, and even with a full moon, will still manage to have a very exciting week. Crew of Lizange have set the bar so far with a 400lbs. Blue Marlin.
– June 8th till June 23rd. Sorry for the delay in posting all our latest catches on Gone Fishing Facebook page. Had a couple of camara’s break down last week, so took me a while to get some. Once again great fishing conditions and many happy people with awesome catches.
– June 24th. till 30th. Thanks everyone for joining us for some great weather conditions and some fun fishing. Blue and White Marlins were caught and many Mahi’s also…
I booked this trip for my husband for our 15th anniversary i booked a full day charter for him. From the time he was picked up till he was dropped off was fantastic. He caught a White Marlin and 9 Dorado (Dolphin Fish) so the fishing was great but he had nothing but great things to say about his captain Benny Hill and his first mate Anderson. Gone Fishing Charters even went as far as to have Elvis make two trips to our resort to drop off the t-shirts my husband wanted. Jack was super at answering all my questions and I had a lot of them. We could not recommend this company enough if your looking for a fishing trip in Punta Cana. I know on our next trip we will be contacting Jack and his crew for our next fishing excursion.
A must for all!
We had the best time fishing on the Naomi! Get crew, very professional! Caught 2 Barracudas, Mahi, and White Marlin! Money well spent! Crew never stopped baiting and casting lines to maximize our chances to catch! Recommend to everyone going to Punta Cana!
– July 1st. till July 7th. Choppy waters and tons of sea weed have made for difficult fishing conditions this past week. Even do Mother Nature was not very cooperative,many guests still managed to have some fun and catch some fish.
– Travelling outside the country a lot, nothing of comments… pictures between July 8th. and August 9th. are mixed, sorry…
We fished today with Miguel as our captain and Jordan as the deck boss/first mate with the bait. They took a group of 7 of us, with only one experienced fisherman, and gave us a great outing for all of us to remember! Jordan and Miguel worked really hard to keep the gear clear of weeds. They also kept everyone well hydrated and made my kids feel important to the boat, even when they weren’t feeling so well. We laughed and made new friends despite catching only one large Mahi Mahi.
I would say to ignore the negative reviews that you may read before your trip like did, it only got my family upset for absolutely no good reason. I can’t wait to book again with the Gone Fishing crew!
Dreams come true!!!!!
We were met at our hotel by a very professional and courteous driver. We got to the beach and met our mate Jordan he was alert and ready to go. Took the short ride out to the boat met our captian Franklin and away we went. After a short boat ride we got set up on the troll and had action shortly after on the Mahi Mahi! After Jordan had showed us how to set the rods in the water it was almost non stop action on the Mahi Mahi for two hours as my father and I fished them too fast we ran out of rigged baits. My father and I are avid fishermen so we were there to catch fish as soon as the captain and Franklin realized this they allowed us to do whatever to bring fish in the boat which I thought was awesome! From setting lines to hooking the fish to lifting them over the side of the boat…
I was there to have a good time, so not only did we have a blast boating 29 Mahi Mahi, I nonchalantly asked the captain “donde esta Marlin?” Which in English mean where is the Marlin? It was kinda a sigh of relief when he smiled back laughed and turned the boat in a different heading. Not 15 mins later the captain came running to the back of the boat yelling, grabbed a rod put it in free spool and BAAAMMMM! A Blue Marlin had taken our bait and for the next 90 mins my father and had the fight of a lifetime with a ocean god!!!!! It may have been on the smaller side only 160 lbs but it was a fish of my dreams. I just wanted to catch a Marlin and mate Jordan and captain Franklin had put me on to that fish of my dreams…
– Fishing Report for August:
– August 10th. till August 16th. Loads of Mahis and a few Marlins. The seaweed “phenomena” continues to make our tasks difficult , but overhaul the catching rate is still quite good. Thanks to all who decided to stay and enjoy their catch at the local beach restaurant “Langosta roja”
– August 17th. till 23rd. Once again another gorgeous week for sea conditions. 3′ to 4′ all week. Lots of Mahi Mahis, and a few Blue Marlins.
– August 24th till 31st. Not too much fishing was done this past week. Having tropical storm Danny and then Erika run right by us, gave us no choice but to cancel several days. However for those who were lucky enough to get out there between the storms, were well rewarded. No Marlins this past week, but lots of Mahi Mahis made up for them.
Great morning Fishing
My husband and two sons went fishing while we vacationed in Punta Cana last week. My son caught a Mahi Mahi and they got to have it prepared for them for lunch right at the marina.
They loved their experience. Jack and his crew were great. Waters were rough that day but luckily no one of my family got sea sick, can’t say the same for the others.
If you expect to be holding a fishing rod and waiting for a fish to bite, this is not that type of fishing excursion. The boat goes at a moderately fast speed while the rods are in the water with bate. When a line gets a bite and your number is called you each take turns reeling it in.
Worth a try!
Gone fishing AND catching!
Went fishing August 11th. Morning 1/2 day trip. Caught 16 or so Mahi and a few Amber Jacks. All and all a great trip. Captain and mate were great!!!
Take your dramamine, drink & eat light. It is the ocean and someone will inevitably get sick! That’s just the way it is!
Went fishing with my wife and had an excellent time. We caught some Mahi Mahi and the crew was excellent the entire time. After we got back to land we went into some of the shops on the beach and made some purchases. When we got back to our hotel we realized the shop owner did not put some of the cigars we purchased in the bag. I called Jack at gone fishing and told him what happened, all though the shop is not owned by him or part of the tour, he still had his driver get the cigars for us and drive them to our hotel. All around, this is a great company to book any fishing charter with.
– September 1st. till Sept. 7th. Thanks everyone for coming out with us. Lots of Mahi Mahis were caught and also a massive 449lbs. Blue Marlin. We also had many of our guests enjoy their catch at the local beach restaurant, can’t beat the view!
– September 8th. till Sept. 13th. Another beautiful week for fishing and great wave conditions. Marlins were very active this past week, and congrats. to all that had an opportunity to fight some.
– September 18th till September 30th. A festival of Mahi Mahi’s in the past few weeks. Thanks so much for everyone for joining us. And a special thanks to all the honeymooners that have taken some time off to also come and fish!! And you can also see that the catch & eat portion of our tour is getting more popular every week.
Fished with Gone Fishing on Aug 24th 2015 had a great time. Caught 1 Wahoo right off the bat and then there was 3 hour of trolling without catching a fish. But that last hour we found the Mahi Mahi. Caught a total of 16 in the last hour. The captain and mate where awesome keeping us entertained and “hydrated” during the 3 hours of not catching anything and the back in business when we hit the school of Mahi’s. Thanks for an awesome trip it was a lot of fun.
450 pound Blue Marlin
We caught a White Marlin and a 450 lb Blue Marlin only one hour into our trip, it was a wild time! Crew was great, it was an overall wonderful, once in a lifetime experience.
Hired a private charter on 1st September this year, had a fantastic crew in Captain Benny and first mate Anderson who looked after us Caught a 50lb Mahi Mahi plus anther 6. What a buzz. Very professional from start to finish, highly recommend Gone Fishing.
Did a half day. Husband and I caught Maui Maui ( I think that’s what it is called ) it was a good day for fishing and crew was very about being watchful of looking for fish.
– October 1st. till Oct. 11th. Phenomenal fishing these past 10 days to start the month off strong. many more pictures to come from these days.
– October 11th. till Oct. 31st. a lot of quality deep sea fishing. Meanwhile I was out picking up a new addition to our existing fleet. A beautiful 35.5′ Bertram. with twin Caterpillars 3208. Will also be adding a 42′ Hatteras within a week or so.
The best excursion ever!!
We made a huge mistake by waiting until the next to the last day of our vacation to take this excursion. We had the time of our lives. We can’t say enough good about Benny Hill our captain, and Anderson our first mate. These guys knew everything you need to know about fishing!!! When 5 Mahi Mahi hit our lines at once Anderson calmly directed everyone like an orchestra! We met great people caught total 16 Mahi Mahi and 1 barracuda. To top it all off the last fish to take the line bent the poll in half and gracefully flew into the air, yep!! big Blue!!! The Blue Marlin snapped the line and returned to freedom but not before everyone on the boat got to see him and scream with excitement!!! Anderson said he weighed at least 150 pounds.
We will be back and we will get him next time. The owner was out of town but was kind enough to email us on a couple occasions making sure all was well. A trip we look forward to again!!! Thanks GONE FISHING!! You guys are top notch!! And let me add, we were able for a small fee to have a restaurant right where the boats come in cook up the fresh fish for lunch! DELICIOUS.
best deep sea fishing I’ve ever done
I love deep sea fishing, but have never been on a trip where we’ve caught a ton of fish. i was on vacation, and figured this would be a great opportunity to really get a bunch, and I hit the jackpot.
I worked with Jack to set it up, and paid to be on a party boat. I was picked up at my hotel on the day of the trip, and my driver was 10 minutes early, which was awesome. The driver was very nice, and after picking up another guy at another resort, we were on our way to meet the crew. Pulled right up on the beach, and Louis greeted us and let us know he’d be our first mate. I paid my remaining balance, and we hopped on the small boat to get us out to the main boat. I was super surprised and ecstatic when there were only 5 of us, and they took us out on a private boat instead of the party boat I had paid for. The crew was really helpful, and we got out on the water. Waves were rocky, and we didnt catch anything for an hour, and then BAM nonstop Mahi Mahi for the majority of the rest of the outing. In total we caught 25 Mahi Mahi and saw a Blue Marlin.
I would HIGHLY recommend and if I’m ever in Punta Cana again I will definitely book through Jack and Gone Fishing again.
Thanks for everyone for coming out with us, and hope you’ve enjoyed yourselves just as much as we enjoyed having you all onboard. Starting this December we’ll have 2 more boats, a 35.5 Bertram with twin cats. 3208 and a beautiful 42′ Hatteras running twin Detroit V653 in our fleet to meet all your fishing needs.
Good for our first time fishing charter
We booked online with Jack before we went on vacation. Communication was very good back and forth before the trip. We were picked up at our resort right on time.
We had a private morning charter for the 8 of us. Boat was in good condition. We had an occasional whiff on exhaust fumes but I assume that is normal. Roberto was our first mate and did a good job keeping the lines baited. We caught 2 Barracuda and 12 Mahi Mahi in a fairly short period of time. We had a couple guys get a little sick so we asked to head back in a little early. The restaurant on the beach cooked up 3 of our Mahi’s and they were very good.
Good time, good people
My wife loves to fish and has long wanted to experience deep sea fishing. We booked our half-day trip through Amstar; they handled all the arrangements. There were three couples including us. Shortly after setting out, one in the party became I’ll and Joan attended to her comfort and in his concern for her well being cordially offered to return them to shore. They accepted; yet, they didn’t deduct the time spent from our four full hours of fishing. Each of the four in our group had a catch. We hooked three Mahi-Mahi and a Barracuda. Joan was an excellent host. He provided full instructions along with engaging, friendly conversation the entire time. We really enjoyed our time with him. Thank you for a great day, Joan. Dos Chris’
What a fabulous time. Went for a 4 hour trip with good results. The first mate kept us fishing and stopped us from becoming dehydrated with ‘Presidente’ all around. Fish were not overly aggressive, but we did manage to land a couple. 20 lbs was a good size.
– December Fishing Report –
– December 1st. till the 6th. SailFish are in and Mahi’s and Wahoo’s are also biting in large amounts. With December rolling in, so are the northern currents which bring the fish and stronger tides too. Congrats to those who were able to last to whole tours and got rewarded with some good fishing. Next week’s forecast waves will average 4′ to 5′ from NE.
– December 6th. till the 13th. Many guests enjoyed their catch at the local beach restaurant, this past week. We had a few rough days but many chose to go out and brave the conditions, and most we rewarded. I’ve also added our photos of our latest acquisitions for the next winter season. A Beautiful 42′ Hatteras fully equipped and a 35’5″ Bertram, a remarkable sport fishing boat. Both should be available by late december.
– December 6th. till Dec. 13th. Some strong northern currents have brought in some rough surf but also some great fishing.
– December 20th. till December 31st. Hope everyone had a great holiday season. And thanks to everyone who brave extreme conditions and came out with us during this period. Unfortunately many days were cancelled for rough seas and strong winds. This wasn’t our best month of December, but at least some of you were rewarded with some nice catches.
Favorite excursion in Punta Cana, hands down!
Even thou our trip was shortened about 45 minutes due to some sea sickness (that is why I give it 4 otherwise it would be 5 most definitely) from two in our party, the experience was awesome and it is all due to the crew on this charter. We had our own charter boat this day and the crew of Juan and Tito made it feel like we have known them for years. Made everyone feel at home and was very attentive to our needs and made sure that we found fish and we did! A total of 6 caught and two misses with one being a sailfish.
Even if you do not like to fish or never have tried, the experience on the water is second to none and I will tell you, you will catch some fish because this service and crew are Pro’s with a capital “P”. Thank you Gone Fishing for making this an experience that we will all remember and look back at as a time of our life during our vacation in Punta Cana.
One last thing, what you catch you can if you desire, eat….but be aware this is extra from the boat trip itself but another one that is well worth it especially if you like fish and fresh fish at that.
A bit of a rough day on the water but overall an extremely professional outfit and would recommend them to anyone!! Well done to all. From communication ahead of the trip to the on board crew I have nothing but good things to say.
That’s it, 2015 fishing calendar in retrospective.
There is more reviews on our Tripadvisor, some of them are not very favorable, mostly due to sea sickness and poor understanding of fishing on open ocean. Please take care about your health and read this article before booking your deep sea fishing tour.