Dear anglers, here is the fishing report for 2016, basic recap of deep sea fishing activities of our company in Punta Cana, weather conditions and fish species caught by our dear guests on Gone Fishing charters – Blue / Black / White / Stripped Marlin, Wahoo, Mahi Mahi, Barracuda, Yellow Fin Tuna, Sailfish, Amberjack…
Short notes from me in addition to reviews and photos from guests should be enough for nice overview and conclusions about quality and activities of our company. If you are coming on vacations in Punta Cana and want to do some nice fishing, contact us!
– January 1st. till Jan. 17th. – Happy New Year to all our FB followers. The beginning of the New Year was met with several days of nasty rough weather and forced plenty of cancellations. However once th Ocean calm down and we were able to get our guests out it ended up being a delight for many. The new year has brought upon us many Sail Fish, Striper Marlins, Wahoo’s and Mahi’s, and even a few Blue Marlins were caught which is exceptional for this time year.
– period from January 17th. till the 24th. – very active fishing week with lots of different species being caught.
– January 25th. till the 31st. Once again we lost a couple of days for rough weather and strong winds, but did we ever make up for them once we started up again. A beautiful 68lbs Yellow fin Tuna was caught and so many Mahi’s, Wahoo’s, Sailfish and even some White and Blue Marlins. Thanks to everyone for staying and enjoying their catch as well.
Best Fishing Day EVER .. Filled the boat before 12 noon
Took an 8 hour fishing Charter with my 5 year old son. I have had the luxury of hiring many fishing charters all over the world. Great Food, Cool Beer, Yummy Ceviche!! and a day my 5 year old will never forget. Anderson Cooper and Benny Hill, thanks for putting us on the fish. See you next year. Gone Fishing is the only charter i will use in Punta Cana.
2 Marlin, 8 Mahi Mahi, 2 Barracuda.
I’m usually not given to hyperbole, or even reviews, but this fishing trip was one my daughters and I will never forget. Not only did I catch my first Blue Marlin, but my second one a couple hours later. Our host, Jack, was flexible in designing our trip and was great on the communication end. Our captain and mate were excellent anglers, making sure we had fresh baits and never once got tangled even though we trolled 6 lines. The equipment was top of the line. I will return to the DR to fish with these fine people next year.
Top notch all the way!
We booked a trip with gone fishing for our dominican vacation, and could not be happier with our charter. Our group of 7 chartered a private 6 hour trip, hoping to catch at least one fish. We are from Montana, and fish a lot here, so we understand that catching is not guaranteed. They picked us up promptly at our resort and after a short drive we arrived at the beach where the charter left from. Getting from the beach to the boat was interesting, as it was a rough day on the water. We had to be loaded onto a small boat from shore, which getting into a little boat with the waves was tricky and not something we were used to, but survived.
Once we were on the big boat and introduced to our captain and crew (Joann) we were off. The seas (6-8′) were rough for a few of us, and once we got away from shore, 2 experienced sea sickness…even after taking dramamine. We toughed it out and were well rewarded, as each one of our group got to reel in a Mahi Mahi. The crew was great, providing us with fresh fruit, water, beer, Mamajuana, chips and sandwiches throughout the day. 9 Mahi on some rough seas was well worth it! Thank you Gone Fishing!!!!!
Special thanks to Captain Benny and First Mate Anderson. With a full day charter we didn’t know what to expect, but the first 4 hours the fish didn’t cooperate with our bait. I don’t know if it was the fresh fruit that turned it around or not but I will always bring fresh melon on my boat. After the first bite of cantaloupe the reels began to sing and after the drag of one reel sang we had two others join in. Luckily we were able to get the triple on board with some fancy gaffing and re-rigging we were back at it. in the next 2 hours we boated eleven Mahi Mahi, one Barracuda and a small Amberjack. Even with the seas being 7- 10 footers the first mate constantly checked and re-baited the lines , changed colors and made a constant effort to put us on the fish.
Great crew and well executed fishing trip
Me and 5 of my friends were in town for my wedding. We wanted to get some fishing in the day before I got married. We did a 4 hour excursion in the morning of the 21st. Jack was awesome to work with. He answered some of my questions prior to booking and backed up his answers with giving us a great team for the day.
If you love going fishing with real fisherman, this is the way to go. They got on fish, were absolute pros on the lines, and knew how to have a good time too. We had two double hook ups in a 4 hour trip. 4 Mahi and 3 Wahoos in total.
Word of advice – Do the Catch and Eat at the restaurant if at all possible. Especially if you are staying at an all-inclusive resort. It will give you a great break from the mass produced resort meals.
– February 1st. till the 8th. We had a couple of days during the week which were rough and several guests decided to stay on land. However this that went out got some great fishing under their belts. Once again Stripe Marlin, Blue Marlin, White Marlins were caught and plenty of Mahi Mahi’s and Wahoo’s. Thanks to everyone for joining us and also enjoying their catch at the local beach restaurant.
– February 8th. till the 14th. Fishing is awesome, but it’s even better when one as some family and close friends to share an afternoon with. Had the pleasure to have my sister and her hubby down for the week and also some buddies I grew up with from my home town. Fish were caught and a great time by all.
– February 15th. till the 21st. This past week was shorten by 3 days of cancellations due to very strong winds and high waves. But luckily enough the other 4 days were excellent for most clients.
– February 21nd. till the 29th. Well we lost another 3 days due to rough surf and high winds, but by Wednesday the conditions were much better and got really nice by the weekend.
We saw some huge Mahi Mahi’s being caught on a couple of outings and plenty of smaller ones too. Sail Fish are not as frequent as before but we’re also seeing more White Marlins coming into our area. Thanks to everyone who stayed and enjoyed their catch and also to all the others that came out and enjoyed themselves with my crews. Cheers jack
Great experience, hard working crew
I booked a 6 hour trip for myself and 3 friends online in advance of our trip to Punta Cana. Jack was great in responding by emails and answering all of our concerns. We were picked up at our resort on time and met Jack and the crew at the beach. The boat and equipment were a little dated but well maintained. Capt. Benny and first mate Anderson worked very hard to give us a first rate trip. We caught 1 Wahoo and 17 Mahi Mahi. We had several fish on more than once and Anderson never missed a beat, we landed all the fish we had hooked, they cleaned enough of the fish for us to take back to the resort for dinner for our party of 22.Having fished from Alaska to the Great Lakes this was absolutely one of the best charters I have ever been on. I highly recommend Gone Fishing for a great experience! Paul D. Western N.Y.
It was our first experience for deep sea fishing, the crew worked very hard to ensure we had a great time and it was an awesome experience, Jack was there to greet us when we arrived back on land with 2 nice size Mahi Mahi’s. I would definitely recommend this to anyone and if we ever go back to Punta Cana it would be my first excursion.
I recently booked a Charter with Gone Fishing through emails and Facebook. The Charter was booked for February 5th through the owner Jack Rougerie. I must say Jack was quick to respond to any correspondence I sent from Canada and in Punta Cana. We met on the beach after being picked up at the resort Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe. After exchanging pleasantries he introduced my friend and I to the 1st mate Jordan. Jack explained the current water conditions to everyone taking the Charter, offering anyone their money back who wasn’t comfortable with big swells.
A boat came in and after securing life belts off we went to the boat. After assisting everyone onto the vessel, we met Capt. Franklin and he explained safety to the passengers. He started the boat and away we went towards deeper waters.
To make a long fishing story short, we caught 5 Wahoo and 6 Mayi Mayi. The rods were peeling off one after another. Some people arms got sore so a couple from Alberta (Cole and Kelly) and myself took possession of the chair. As long as Jordan was baiting the lines, we were ready to reel them in !
After being brought back to shore, we were able to purchase cool ‘Gone Fishing’ t shirts. I wanted more for fishing buddies so I emailed Jack with sizes. He had a driver come to the resort and I was able to purchase them. I really appreciated that customer service from Jack.
I’ve fished in a lot of Caribbean countries but I have to say Jack of ‘Gone Fishing’ does it right !
Tight Lines and Good Fishing my Friend.
Fish of a lifetime
My brother and I ‘hooked’ up with Captain Jack through email and saved money. If you go through a resort, you will pay more for this excellent fishing excursion. Go through Jack’s web site instead and email him for a better rate!
We fished on Feb 12, 2016 with Jack’s shipmates, Caesar and Junior who put us on fish in 6-10′ ocean swells. We managed to catch a Barracuda, a Mahi (Dorado) and a nice Sailfish.
If you’re a fisherman, you know to expect that catching fish is a bonus…not a guarantee. If you want a guarantee, buy your fish from the market. I read complaints from people here, on Trip Advisor, about small fish, or few fish etc. That’s fishing, my friends. Having said that, have you checked the pictures on the Gone Fishing web site? His crew are professionals and you have your best chance of being put on fish by ‘hooking up’ with the Gone Fishing crew! Thanks Jack, Caesar and Junior for my fishing trip of a lifetime!
I booked a half day shared morning charter for my husband and I and our 2 boys age 15 and 9. We had gone deep sea fishing once and loved it and I wanted the boys to experience it. They waves were 5-10ft and got a little higher by the time we came back. (Jack’s note: no, they were not even half that big). We ended up having a private charter as I guess there was not another group for the morning we went so that was a plus! The driver picked us up promptly and they explained all the safety stuff etc very thoroughly. We only caught 2 fish in our 4 hours, one Dorado (Mahi Mahi, Dolphinfish) and one Barracuda. So in 4 hours that was a little less than what we thought but my husband says that’s why its called fishing not “catching”…
The captain filleted the mahi for us and we took it to the beach restaurant where they grilled it for us with sides included for $10/pp. It was amazing. All in all a fun excursion and it is a very professionally run outfit.
– March 1st. till March 8th. – Finally a week of beautiful and great fishing. Thanks to everyone who joined us and a special thanks to Sam M. and his boys and also Mr. Schrader aged 87 years young for tagging along and catching himself a beautiful Mahi Mahi.
– March 9th. till March 20th. Once again we lost 5 straight days for strong winds and high waves, and only got back fishing on March 13th. Had some really days this past week with some real fine catches. Thanks for everyone for joining us and enjoying their catch at the local beach restaurant.
– March 21st. till March 31st. – With strong winds for most of this past week and also the full moon effect. Can’t say this has been our best week of fishing. Sorry to say several clients got skunked during this period and also many were not feeling too good after being bumped around for 4 hours. However when the winds died down and also the moon gone by, we started seeing action once again. Still a bit slow to my licking but with the arrivals of more White Marlins in our area and the highly expected Yellow Fins that should be coming in anytime now, well it can only get better. Thanks for everyone for coming out and enjoying yourselves with my crews.
Shared Charter Fishing
Scheduled a 4 hour shared excursion from our resort, picked up in a timely fashion and this place is located next to the Jellyfish restaurant, about 20 minutes from our resort Iberostar Bavaro Suites. Spent 4 hours on boat, crew worked hard, caught several Baracuda. Not a great outing but did not get skunked! Another charter went out at same time and caught a 6 foot Sailfish it’s a crapshoot this time of the year and we know it but it’s fun to be doing something we can’t back home.
Perfect first fishing trip for my 7-year old son
On a recent trip to Punta Cana I booked a half-day trip for myself and my 7-year old son. Couldn’t have been better, these guys were great! We had the best time and caught 3 nice sized Dolphin (see photo). The best part might have been the beach front restaurant afterwards where they prepared the Mahi Mahi for us along with sides for $10 a head! Highly recommended.
Whacked and Stacked!
My boyfriend and I visited Punta Cana 3/15-3/21 and through recommendation, he was lead to contacting Jack at Gone Fishing. We had a full day charter on 3/17 with Captain Benny and Anderson, which turned out nothing short of amazing.
Our day started off slow, but that’s fishing.. As they say, it’s fishing, not ‘catching’ but Benny and Anderson did everything they could to steepen our odds. Anderson is VERY knowledgeable and kept changing baits, checking the lines, and making sure everything was 100% the whole entire 8-hours of the charter. Benny was a great captain, he lead us around the buoys, never took a break, and was super friendly and professional.
This was my first deep-sea fishing experience and it really set the bar high. As someone who is eager to learn and willing to learn, I knew there was a chance that we could come back empty handed, but I kept an open mind and we thoroughly enjoyed the day on the water.
By mid-afternoon, the fish started biting. We first hooked up on two Mahi Mahi, at the same time which was exhilarating! I’m used to small fish, and even then I though that was a battle so imagine pulling in my first Dolphin! It was a lot of fun, Anderson was super helpful and provided useful guidance and communicated with us and Benny.
At one point, there rods were going off left and right and it was CRAZY. I don’t even remember how many fish were on at one point but we were catching them left and right, again Anderson and Benny were SO helpful and kept things running smoothly when it could have been even more chaotic. We ended up catching a lot of Mahi’s, some Barracuda, and a pair of Wahoo.
After the charter, we went to the beach and had our Mahi cooked fresh and had dinner with Anderson. That’s also when we met Jack, great guy and couldn’t have been happier with our experience. The fish was so fresh and so delicious, they even filleted more for us to bring back to our resort to cook!
Overall, it was a great experience, zero complaints and nothing but positive things to say about it. I know that some people think just because you book a charter means you’re going to catch fish, but that’s not always true. We spent half the day staring into blue waters with no bent rods. BUT, it’s the experience and the effort that counts. I learned a lot and value all the time and effort that Benny, Anderson, and Jack put into their charters and their job. You can truly tell they are passionate about what they do and enjoy every day.
Thanks again for a GREAT trip and we hope to be back for some Marlin! 😉
– April 1st. till April 10th. – Finally a full week of beautiful calm weather. Looks like the nice weather is here to stay and the god news the White Marlins have also arrived. Would like to thank Tom H. for coming 3 times with his son which caught a beautiful yellow fin tuna on the last outing of their holiday.
– April 10th till April 17th. – White Marlins are here and strong. We are still waiting for yellow fins which should also be coming in anytime soon.
– April 18th. till the 24th. – Again last week we had to postpone one day for bad weather and a few other days were right on the limit for some. Thanks so much to everyone for coming out and enjoying yourselves. A special thanks to Mike M. and Mark D. for coming out with us this year again on multiple occasions. Once again many clients went home empty handed but several others got their dream catch…I guess that’s why they call it fishing and not catching.
Absolutely one of the best charters we have ever been with fished two days with Anderson, Hill, and Franklin wish it could have been more. These guys love to fish and want to catch fish even more than you do. It is fishing, not catching and some people wait a lifetime to catch a Marlin- they had us on them and in the boat in the first two hours. I can’t say enough about Jacks response to all emails and booking, pick up and drop off. It helps that we found the Marlin but as a fisherman- it would have been a great experience had we not caught a thing. Thank you all for a fishing trip of a lifetime.
Awesome Day of Fishing
Took my 7 year old son out for a half day trip…..was worried about sickness but we were both fine. Take a Dramamine or Gravol. The seas were around 5ft but nobody on the boat appeared to fall ill. There was lots going on and the crew were great, especially with my son as he was the only young guy on the boat.
The captain got us into some great action and we ended up with 6 Mahi Mahi. My son got to reel one in which was the highlight of his entire trip.
Jack was extremely great with confirming all the details with me by email and we paid by pay pal which made it crazy simple. A great Canadian Run operation and we are looking forward to our return!
Well organized group
We booked a private charter for our family. Unfortunately we didn’t catch any fish but that’s what happens. Many others were getting skunked as well. First Mate Roberto was great. He was very kind and patient with family members that got sea sick.
My husband and I recently vacationed in Punta Cana for our Anniversary. I decided to throw in a day of fishing for him since he was willing to sit pool side by me for the other days. After reading a lot of reviews on the local charter companies I decided on Gone Fishing. From start to finish our experience with them was first class. The owner Jack was easy to work with and personally answered most emails within an hour or so. We were picked up by van at our resort and driven to the beach. We immediately met our Captain and first mate, who then took us to our boat. We ventured on to our private 8 hour charter.
The boat was clean, Joan our first mate was always busy. Once lines were rigged and in the water he went above and beyond to make sure we had what we needed, water, beers, snacks, etc. These guys never stopped watching our lines, every time a fish hit they saw it before a reel ever squealed, and they were just as eager and excited to catch fish as we were. We happened to have a very lucky fishing day with a huge White Marlin and 4 Mahi Mahi. However, fishing is fishing and we know it doesn’t always work out that way :). It was a day we will always remember, not just because of the fish, but because of the whole experience.
After my husband caught the first Mahi, Joan cut it up, added lime, salt and onion to make ceviche for us!
After a long day of fishing we returned to the beach, my husband and Joan cleaned our fish so we could take it back to our resort to cook.
Joan escorted us off of the boat and back to our transport van. I can’t say enough great things about these guys, it was definitely the highlight of our Dominican trip. We can’t wait to go back!
Great Day Fishing on Gone Fishing Charters, Punta Cana
I have fished all over the world and must say that Captain Franklin and First Mate Yohan from Gone Fishing Charters gave my son and I outstanding service on our eight hour charter. We landed 11 Mahi Mahi (Dorado) and missed two Marlin. The entire staff from the shuttle driver to water taxi driver and greeter were very professional. I will definitely book several trips with them the next time we are in Punta Cana.
– April 24th until May 15th. We still several days of rainy days, for the last week of April and even in early may. Weather finally looks like it’s settled and fish are biting again.
– May 15th. till May 22rd. Beautiful weather , great guests and plenty of fish. After several weeks or even months of so- so weather we’ve finally have seen a gorgeous week and showers only at night time. Ocean conditions were also excellent with most days between 3′ to 5′ waves. Thanks for everyone for joining us and also enjoying their catch at the local beach restaurant.
– May 23rd. Till May 31st. A beautiful week with a few rainy mornings but overall very nice and calm seas. White Marlins were again on the main focus, and so were some Mahi Mahi’s and even some Wahoo’s and still no many yellow fins in our area . Thanks for everyone for joining us and enjoying their catch at the beach restaurant Langosta Roja.
Awesome trip. Incredible experience.
My boyfriend and I chartered a private boat for 4 hours on May 2. It was a good price compared to what we would pay back home in Canada. Jack was great from the very start. He was always in touch via email and seemed like a great guy (perk! He is also Canadian). Javier came and picked us up in the morning and we had a great time with him despite there being a total language barrier. We were on the boat with Captain Benny Hill and first mate Andros. Andros allowed us to help bait the lines and toss them out. Within 20 to 30 minutes of having the lines in, a Marlin hit. It was awesome and exciting but unfortunately with the mixture of the heat and the waves, I started to feel sea sick during the fight. My boyfriend and I tag teamed our Marlin and we got him into the boat after about a half hour fight. It was an incredible experience.
However, the fight with the fish and the heat combined with the waves was enough to do us in and we both started vomiting shortly thereafter. Since we had chartered the private boat, we asked them to take us in early. I should say that, from the beginning, the gone fishing team had warned us about the waves and the possibility of sickness. They told us that we could go another day but we elected to stick to our original day. We weren’t upset at having to go in early as we landed a beautiful 60 lbs Marlin. An experience neither of us will forget.
My only tips for future anglers would be these:
1. I think I’d go on an empty stomach next time and definitely pass on the beer. I ended up pounding the beer they offered me once we hooked the Marlin in an attempt to free up my hands and I think that may have been my downfall;
2. Take some motion Sickness medication before you go;
3. I think it’s worth it to charter the private boat. That way you can go in if you get sick. If you go with others who have paid for a certain number of hours of fishing….they won’t deprive them of that just because you are seasick. Also, you get to fight all the fish yourselves.
Thanks to Jack and the Gone Fishing team for such an incredible experience.
– June 1st. till June 12th – Beautiful week to start the month of June. So far this season yellow fins are deceiving comprare to past years, but luckily White Marlins are making up for them. And to everyone’s delight we’ve even seen several Blue Marlins coming into our area. May the games begin!
– June 13th. till June 19th. – Another beautiful week on the waters of Punta Cana. Can’t ask for better fishing conditions. Thanks for everyone who came out and enjoyed themselves. A special thanks for Mike L. and Ken and also a real passionate fisherman Harry V. who’s been traveling the world for the past 4 years just looking for the big prize game. We were lucky enough to put him on some White and Blue Marlins and also some Mahi Mahi’s. Thanks buddy.
– June 20 till July 1st – Very nice conditions once again for fishing except for this past weekend when a tropical wave went by and gave us some high swells and winds hovering between 15 to 20 knots. It’s been a frustrating 2 weeks and many guests went home blank. Even a new friend of mine went out 5 straight days before he finally hooked up to his elusive Blue Marlin. So for all those who were lucky enough to catch some fish, thumbs up and for all of those that went out and sat and played the waiting game and came home empty handed well folks all I can say is 2 thumbs to you all. Fishing is a patience game and not a sure thing just like going to a Casino, if it was a sure thing well, all the casinos would be out of business and probably would not be many fish left in the ocean either.
Anyway, huge thank you for everyone who came out with us. Also just great having some many kids off from school and having their parents taking them out to enjoy some fishing and the Ocean here in sunny Punta Cana.
Deep sea fishing
5 of us (including my 4 year old son) went on a fishing charter two days ago and we really enjoyed it. The captain and his helper worked very hard to make sure we were all comfortable and had fun. They had the best fruit we ever had and brought us a great lunch too. My little guy struggled with sea sickness and they were more than efficient with clean up. They baited a pole to catch a small fish on our way back in so that my son could catch his first fish and he was so proud! We had the best time
GREAT FISHING EXPERIENCE EVER!!
This fishing trip involved me and my wife. We booked this excursion from Glasgow, UK. Jack (the owner) was amazing. We intended to fish for at least 2 days but fortunately, we ended up fishing for 4 consecutive days.
We were looking for specific fish and fortunately, we caught all plus more.
If you are in the Dominican republic and enjoy deep sea fishing or if you would like try it, we would totally recommend them as they were unbelievable.
A usually quiet time of year weather wise, but it was not the case this past week with a fairly strong tropical wind over us, which brought some high waves and winds hovering between 15 to 20 knots. many guests were able to re-schedule but many also went out to face mother Nature. Some were nicely rewarded like Tommy M. the birthday boy pulled out 2 White Marlins with his sons. However so many were left yet again empty handed to our great sadness. I guess this is where we see what fishermen are really made of, patience toughness and durability. Thanks for everyone for joining us and for the lucky ones that even got to enjoy their catches at the beach restaurant.
– July 10th. till August 7th – Finally got back from my yearly trip back home, and now have the pleasure to load up nearly a month’s worth of pictures. July was a beautiful month weather wise, but a bit disappointing fishing wise. We saw too many clients come back empty handed which is really a bummer for us, since we always hope to have our guests catch fish on all our outings. So for those who did not catch fish, I send my sympathies, and still hope you enjoyed yourselves out there. And for those who were lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time, congrats.
Great captain and mate
Our mate Anderson and capt Benny Hill were terrific. We had a great day on the water, caught fish and went back to the beach where they had a nice cafe serve up our catch. Best excursion we’ve had since arriving. Our mate (Andrew) & capt Benny Hill were very professional and treated us like royalty. Highly recommend them. We spoke to the business owner Jack to set up the trip and it was everything he said it would be and more. Jack and his professional team with 5 boats have been doing this for over 20 years. First class operation! Thank you so much.
Paradise on the Ocean
Booked a fishing excursion and I must say the entire experience was enjoyable from the point of being picked up at the hotel through the time I was dropped of.
I’m sorry to say I don’t recall the boat name or the first mate’s name but they were very helpful in explaining what will be occurring and took care of getting all of the poles ready. Over the course of the trip they would re-check the bait and lures and change if needed.
Everything was included, license, bait, etc and the even had water, beer and rum iced down in a cooler but no snacks.
Our boat was able to reel in 2 Mahi-Mahi’s. The first mate made arrangements to have them cooked as we desired at a restaurant on the beach from where we came in along with sides at a very reasonable price. The transportation back to the hotel waited while we enjoyed the catch.
Will certainly use them again if I should go back to Punta Cana again.
I have been chasing these monsters all over and finally i had my chance to hook up with the blue marlin but not only that i got the chance to get several white’s. What a crazy good few day with Gone Fishing. Big Thanks to Jack and his Awesome crew for the several days they took me and my wife out. Looking forward to coming back sooner than later 🙂 cheers guys
– August 8th till August 14th. – Well August is showing much better results so far than we had in July. Last week was an excellent week for fishing, even do some boats got skunked, we still had some great catches, Blue Marlins again were active and so were White Marlins, Mahi Mahi’s and Wahoo’s, over all most of our clients went back to their resorts with grins on their faces and their bellies full of fresh cooked fish. Thanks to everyone for coming out with us.
– August 15th. Till 31st. – Apart from Tropical depression 99L which was more of a scare than a threat, the Oceans conditions have been quite nice. Good thing about this storm was it brought lots of fish back into or area. Blue Marlins were very active and we saw several days with large numbers of Mahi Mahi’s being caught as well. Thanks to everyone for joining us and also to all those that follow us on our FB page.
Fun fishing trip. Even though the fishing wasn’t great the crew made sure to try and get as many people involved when there was a fish on as possible. All in all an enjoyable excursion.
These guys are the best!!!!!!!
We went out on August 15, 2016. The seas were rough and with my nephews and daughter aboard, I was a little nervous. Captain Franklin and Manny made the kids feel comfortable, and got right to work. We caught 8 Dorado and 2 Barracuda!!! When you go on deep sea fishing charters you can tell when the guys are phoning it in and treating you like tourists instead of fisherman. These guys are true professionals and did everything they could to put us on fish. While we did have an excellent day in terms of catch, either way you could tell Manny and Franklin were were working hard. If you are in Punta Cana call Gone Fishing and ask for Franklin and Manny. Also, dealing with Jack to set the trip was great, he was on point and responsive (and patient while I was being a pain in the butt).
– Apart from 2 days of bad weather at the beginning of the month, the weather has been phenomenal. It’s been a great month so far with lots of Blue Marlins being caught, and also the return in large numbers of Mahi Mahi’s in the area, that made many Anglers stay and enjoy their catches at the local beach restaurant. I’d like to thank everyone for coming out with us.
– Sept. 22nd. till Sept. 30th – Lesser clients in the area and also cancelled days for Hurricane Matthew have given us less outings than last year, but still some pretty good results over all. Blue Marlins, Mahi Mahi’s, Barracudas, were the main fish being caught for the past 10 days of the month. Several guests stayed to enjoy their catches at the local beach restaurant. Let’s hope October brings in more stable conditions and also the awaited Mahi Mahi’s.
Gone Fishing -This was an excellent excursion. There were a total of 6 people on this shared charter. Big boat with plenty of room and fishing equipment. The captain was Franklin can’t remember the mates names but both were very friendly, helpful and skilled. I caught the first fish a Mai Mai. I sat in the chair reeled away. Muscles are needed! I was the only girl fishing so I wasn’t gonna give up!
The fish was beautiful and might I add the biggest caught on the trip! Another Mahi Mahi was caught as well as large Barracuda. When it was my husband’s turn a black Marlin breached the water and hit his line but this guy was smart he took the bait up to the hook so no such luck bringing him in but it was fun any way. We encountered a little rain but the boat was covered so no worries there. We had a great time and even if no fish were caught I would still have been happy on the water.
Great day fishing!
This was probably one of the best fishing trip I’ve been on. Thank you Jack – your boat is so well kept and you “kids” made our day a wonderful experience.
Tito- our boat captain was friendly, helpful and spot on in seeing movement in the water, placing us in a school of Mahi’s.
Juan-the first mate was awesome, not only was he on top of making sure he kept all the lines well baited> he also made us a wonderful cerviche with one of the small ones, talk about multi tasking!
I give all the credit to these guys for our boat catching the most fish that day.
If we get the opportunity to go back I would definitely book with Jack (Gone fishing ) again
1st Rate Experience
Gone Fishing is one of the most professional operations I have experienced booking fishing charters outside of the continental United States. Jack Rougerie has built a five boat fleet with experienced Captains and mates that can compete with the best of the best in places like Cabo San Lucas, Quepos Costa Rica, and Kona Hawaii. We fished three days on two different boats with two different Captains and one of the top first mates you will find anywhere in Anderson Cooper! They worked hard to get us on the fish and even harder to keep the fish coming over the rail and on the deck. Blue Marlin, Dorado (Mahi Mahi), Tuna, and the ever present Barracuda were caught, with the Marlin released and the others shared and eaten! By the way Anderson Cooper makes the best Ceviche I have ever eaten!
Jack Rougerie is the consummate professional from beginning to end.
I read reviews and contacted several operations but Jack was the best at returning email and phone calls and even helped us find and book excursions outside of fishing! In fact he arranged for his first Mate Anderson Cooper to be our personal tour guide on a day trip exploring the area!
Captain Tito inherited my Invicta Pro Diver Watch as a small token of my appreciation for his hard work, and Anderson Cooper got a great pair of Polarized Fishing Sun Glasses as a bonus! These guys are two of the best at what they do.
From hard core fishermen, to families “Gone Fishing” will make your experience a great one!
– October 1st. till October 19th – Hurricane Matthew went by us to the south and then came back up to the West of us, but luckily we only received a bit of rain and clouds and a few gusts of wind . However the local authorities did more damage to us than the weather. They paralyzed all our operations for one full week. So many guests had their hearts set on going out and catching some fish and enjoying the ocean, but were left to watch from the beach pretty nice ocean conditions with warm sunny skies, and not knowing what to think of all of this.
Anyway after one long week of waiting we finally were able to get our guests back out on the Ocean and some were well rewarded with some pretty nice days of fishing . Thanks for all the guests for staying and enjoying their catch at the local beach restaurant. Hopefully the hurricanes are behind us and we can start focusing on the next season of Mahi Mahi’s, Wahoo’s and Sail-Fish that should be starting to come into our area any day now
– Oct. 18th- Oct 31st. Northern currents have started coming down and we’ve had some phenomenal days of fishing out there. Blue Marlins, Sail Fish, Mahi Mahi’s and Wahoo’s were all out and in large numbers. Thanks to everyone for coming out and having some quality time on the Ocean.
Great day on the water!
We had a great time with Gone Fishing! Good friendly service, nice boat and crew and best of all we got some fish! We asked them to have one of the Mahi Mahi prepared for us back on shore. It was delicious!! Highly recommend this place!
We went on this excursion for my hubby’s 50th birthday – our 2 kids purchased 2 half day’s for his present – through email with Captain Jack – what an easy and great way to do it! The van picked us up on time and we drove to the boat launch. It started raining and we needed to sign forms that we were ok with the 4-5 foot waves (which we did)…the guy said you can get wet at the beach or on the boat might as well have fun fishing!! Hurricane Matthew was just arriving in the DR. 4 of the eight people were throwing up out the windows but my husband and I had put on the sea sick patch the night before and didn’t even notice – really recommend that!
Great day – they caught 2 Barracuda and and a Blue Marlin – awesome experience!!! They had them cut off a chunk and they prepared it at the restaurant- day of a lifetime. The second day was cancelled because the waves were too big and we were refunded our purchase price – HIGHLY recommend Captain Jack and his team…Toronto Canada
Awesome trip for the price
Jourdan and Francisco were excellent guides. They were accommodating to novice and experienced angler alike. We caught 10 Mahi Mahi and one Barracuda. Nothing fancy about the boat, but it got us out and got us back with no issues. I would recommend this for anyone, it was the highlight of my vacation.
Caught the Big One
Jordan And Tito were our crew . They took us right to where the fish were. The helped us land a 100 plus pound Marlin! When I say we caught the big one, I mean we caught the big one. And we weren’t out all day. We also caught a large Mahi Mahi, that the cooked and served for us once we got back on land. It was delicious. There were 8 members in my party, and it was my first fishing trip. It will not be my last.
– November 1st till 12th. – Another overcast and rainy days most of these past 10 days, but fantastic fishing for nearly everyone. Folks from Mississippi to Washington state right up to Toronto are bringing home some great memories. Special thanks to my buddy Rodney E. who celebrated his 50th B-day with 2 Blue Marlins and 8 Mahi Mahi’s. Nice way to mark this special day. Thanks again to everyone for coming out and enjoying their catch at the Beach restaurant.
– Nov. 13th – Dec. 5th. – Another 2 weeks gone by and another 2 weeks of great fishing. Once again we were forced to close down for a few days while nasty Ocean conditions went by us. But weather has been getting better everyday and so as the fishing. Thanks to everyone for coming out and enjoying themselves on the water.
Excellent service and fantastic fishing of Mahi Mahi
Hi Guys, I have experienced deep sea fishing on various locations around the globe and know that selecting the best tour operator is a must if you would like to bring back nice memories. My research before I took a trip to Punta Cana came up with a name “Gone Fishing” that also have got high scores from customers on Tripadvisor. Therefore I decided to try them together with 3 friends that never have experienced Deep See Fishing before. The service they provided from my very first contact to finally driving us back to the hotel after 6 hours of fantastic fishing scores “Excellent”.
I decided that we should try to catch some very tasty Mahi Mahi and hoped that all of us four should be able to catch one. The sea condition was good and we went out some 45 minutes from shore before we start to fishing. Captain Hill and his mate Emanuel was really professional and arranged 6 rods with live-bait tackles that constantly was fishing the whole day. We found an area with Seaweed floating at the surface and experience a fantastic fishing. All of us 4 ended up catching more then 5 Mahi Mahi each with size 4-8 Kg. We also got a strike by a Blue Marlin that went of with some hundred meters of line before it got of the hook.
Back to the beach I asked for 5 Mahi Mahi to bring back to our resort for dinner. The crew made file of them and we came back fully satisfied from of fishing trip with about 10 Kg file of Mahi Mahi that we shared with some 20 friends at dinner the same evening. I can highly recommend “Gone Fishing” for those of you who love deep sea fishing and are looking for an operator with excellent service in Punta Cana. Lars from Stockholm/Sweden
We were visiting Cap Cana on our honeymoon and looking for some excitement for the day so we decided to book an add-on excursion through cheap caribbean for deep sea fishing. We didn’t realize it would be the highlight of our trip! The ocean was extremely rough that day (over 7 foot chop) but our Captain was absolutely amazing! The first mate Anderson was incredible! I have never seen someone so skillfully handle 6 lines so effortlessly. Absolutely amazing to watch. Each of us caught over 3 huge fish each.
We caught a ton of Mahi Mahi, one Barracuda and even a bluefin tuna! We decided to eat our tuna at the restaurant nearby and the company patiently waited until we were done. The owner, Jeff, even drove us back to the resort. Overall fantastic experience and we can’t recommend Gone Fishing enough! Thank you!
These guys are great. My wife and I went fishing with 2 other couples, on a day with heavy chop; 6-7 foot swell. But our captain (Miguel) and our first mate (Anderson) were excellent! I grew up fishing the Chesapeake bay, trollin’ for Striped Bass, but i have NEVER seen anyone work 6 lines at a time like Anderson. Even with rough seas, everybody aboard caught fish! The entire company, owner included, were extremely polite, and punctual, and if you’ve ever been to the Caribbean, that’s a rare asset! I’m sure there are plenty of charters available, but these guys are definitely the best.
From the very start I knew that I had made the right choice in picking gone fishing. Jack gave me great advice prior to the trip which I booked in the U.K. We was picked up from our hotel in a nice air conditioned clean minibus and drove about 20 minutes to the beach. We filled out forms and was given life jackets.
Once on board we were given safety advice and drinks and made to feel at home. Within about 10 minutes we were catching fish what I particularly liked was how the guys that worked on the boat was so enthusiastic they must see these fish daily but they helped make it fun and exciting. My son struggled to reel his fish in and another guy on the trip started to take over and Jonathan politely but firmly informed the guy to let my son try how else will he learn.
Throughout the morning we was catching Mahi Mahi, Sail Fish, Wahoo, and Barracudas. We was sad when our trip had come to an end and so we asked if there was availability for another day before we were due to leave luckily there was and without hesitation we booked another morning. Once again it was another fun packed adventure that has given us happy lasting memories of our time in Punta Cana. I would recommend Gone Fishing to everyone from a keen fisher to someone like me that has never fished but enjoys watching it on tv like extreme fishing. The trip really was just like the best fishing you see on tv.
If we visit again I will be sure to book more trips with Jack and his team at Gone Fishing.
Thank you Jack for a great time.
Get me a new bucket list! They are out there!
The day didn’t look to promising. Our charter boat was late getting back from the morning as the weather was unpredictable, we were sure it would be cancelled. The morning guys were happy, a few Mahi Mahi and Barracuda in the boat. When we set off, the weather was glorious. One Barracuda and several beers later, we looked like being out of luck. Then the gear took off, Audrey grabbed the rod and held on like the grim reaper. 35 minutes later and look what we had. Awesome. The two guys on the boat were fantastic. But the fish stayed on board. Thank god, I was not peeling potatoes to go with Marlon.
Three trophy Blue Marlin in one day . what a way to celebrate my 50th birthday ..
My wife and I chartered a boat from Jack for an 8 hour fishing excursion. We used Gone fishing last December we caught 2 Marlin 8 Mahi Mahi and 2 Barracuda total weight of all fish 200 lbs
HERE IT COMES
This year we topped last years catch, all i can say is total weight 800 lbs .. see pics .. it tells the story ..
Great time ! We caught a Sail Fish, Mahi Mahi and a few others. The Fish were huge OMG !!! What a great crew ! We had drinks on the Boat. They take care of everything for you !
The weather was great, we were about 8 Miles out. I would definitely do it again !! Thank you so much.
– Dec. 6th. till Dec. 15th. – Well mother nature has not been too friendly with us these past few months. Again this month, we’ve encountered some rough conditions and again a few days had to be cancelled. However at the same time we’ve had some very successful outings with lots of fish being caught. Blue Marlins are still around to everyone’s pleasure and so are other species such as Sail Fish, Mahi Mahi’s and some Wahoo‘s too. Thanks to everyone for joining us and best wishes for this X-mas season. Cheers Jack
– Dec. 16th till Dec. 31st. – In December we ended up losing 8 days of fishing due to bad weather. Luckily enough between those lost days we were able to get guests on some serious fishing. One client comes up to my mind Mr. S. Brown which went out twice on a full day charter and came back the first time with 54 Mahi Mahi’s and the second time with 59. Talk about being at the right spot at the right time not once but twice!! incredible! Anyway so many others were not as fortunate but it only goes to show what fishing is all about. Thanks again to everyone for joining us and we’d like to offer our Best wishes for the new year from all the Gone Fishing family.
Tired of reeling!!
My wife and I booked a 4 hour, private, last minute fishing trip with Gone Fishing. We were picked up promptly at our resort and had a pleasant conversation on the way there with the driver. The boat was well equipped and comfortable. After a very slow start the Mahi Mahi started hitting along with the Barracuda. When they started it was go go go! Very tired arms were the result along with big smiles. The experience was enhanced when we were offered the opportunity to have our catch prepared at a local restaurant. We picked the smallest one, which was more than enough for the two of us. It was grilled to perfection the local way. The crew worked hard and was very helpful. I would recommend Gone Fishing to anyone.
The fishing was Amazing!
The captain and the mate were great at getting us on the fish they are very knowledgeable they do this for a living. Our trip with Gone fishing we caught a Total of twelve fish – eleven Mahi Mahi and one Barracuda. All the fish were good sized and the fish was out of this world my forearms were burning. On a day of fishing in the Dominican ocean swells are five feet on average so if you get motion sickness or boat sick do not book this trip. I am not a person who gets motion or boat sick and on this trip my stomach was really upset. If you don’t catch any fish, don’t get discouraged and give a negative review because they call it fishing and not catching. Bienvenidos!
Excellent Day on the Rough Water!
We were fishing on December 7, 2016 and were asked to sign waivers before embarking as the sea conditions were quite rough. We acknowledged the forms and signed before heading out to sea, and boy are we glad we did!
It was an excellent day led by our guide “Anderson Silva”, however i cannot for the life of me remember the driver of the boat, who also did an excellent job. It was incredible to see how easily the two crew members navigated around the boat in the waves, as at times it was tough to stand without holding onto something due to the weather!
In total we caught 10 fish, 8 Mahi Mahi and 2 Barracuda, with 1 Barracuda getting away. We also went for the catch and eat, and man-o-man was it worth it! Delicious food!
Would highly recommend this outfit to friends and family!
High lite of our Trip
Jack, his crew Fredrick and Emanuel and even the driver who picked us up all where great. We did a four hour trip and landed 8 Mahi Mahi along with two Barracuda. We where fishing almost as soon as we got on the boat and loved everything about the outing. Best of all everyone on board says it was the high lite of there trip to Punta Cana vacation. Can not say enough good things about these guys.
Thanks Jack for a memorable day.
That’s it for this year! If you want to get out from your all-inclusive resorts and have some real fun, send me a message. Cheers, Jack.